Washing your car cover regularly is essential for taking care of your vehicle’s paint job. Custom Car & Truck Covers that are clean provide better protection both indoors and outdoors. Follow these tips for the best results.
How To Wash Your Car Cover
On one hand, you don’t want to damage the fabric; on the other hand, car covers for outdoor use often build up a lot of dirt and grime, including tree sap. Here are five steps to follow:
- Place the cover in a commercial washing machine: This type of washing machine has the power to successfully remove tough soil gently.
- Choose a mild laundry soap: Never use harsh chemicals on the protective fabric of your premium car cover. Select a mild detergent safe for washing machines.
- Set the wash cycle to delicate: This takes extra care of the car cover.
- Rinse the car cover: After the wash cycle, run one or two rinse cycles to thoroughly remove any residue from the cleaning solution.
- Let the cover air dry: Don’t use a dryer. Let your premium car cover air dry on a clothesline for about six hours.
To keep your car cover in optimal condition, avoid washing machines with any kind of agitator. They’re too rough on the special layers of Washable Car Storage Bags & Capsules. Also, never use fabric softener.
Best Car Cover Cleaning Materials
Some car owners prefer cleaning their custom cover by hand in the open air. Cleaning the cover this way means stretching it over your car and acting as if you were washing the vehicle. Hand-washing is a great option, but you need to choose the right tools:
- Gentle liquid soap or detergent
- Soft sponge
First, place the hose on a “shower” setting and wet the entire car cover. Then fill the bucket with water and add a small amount of detergent. Next, use the large sponge to gently scrub the entire surface of the cover. Never use brushes when cleaning your car cover. Lastly, rinse the cover thoroughly with the garden hose.
How To Properly Store Your Car Cover
It’s not difficult to store a car cover when you’re not using it, but you need to follow the right technique. Start by folding the front of the cover upwards towards the roof. Do the same with the back. Working from one of the sides, you can now roll or fold the cover properly. Finally, place the folded cover into a storage bag or duffel bag. This protects the clean cover from accumulating dust or dirt.
Washing a car cover requires some finesse, but the time invested is well worth it. A spotless surface always turns heads.